Sunday, August 3, 2014

Thinking Through the Painting (Verdaccio)

The sketch phase of "Little Girl" is done and my paint is mixed. I'm painting in my studio with Ben Howard soothingly serenading me and a whirlwind of a weekend on my mind.



Painting requires me to paint shapes, lines, and values, but with my sketch and my reference, I really have no mapping to do, so my mind is free to evaluate or wander.

I want you to notice her hands. She's no more than five or six years old. The tendons that pull our fingers and thicken with age are but dimples on her extended hands. Extend your hands and notice how your knuckles compare to hers.



Her right shoulder is angled back, her pose is in accordance with the golden mean. The golden mean in crucial as the key ratio found in the beauty of nature.

I need to keep my edges soft. Things that are light are dark in recession, and things that are dark are light in recession. Photographs give off sharp edges, though those edges clearly don't exist. A well done softened edge will be made up of at least three different values.

I'm only just starting on the verdaccio, but just as a quality sketch will lead to quality verdaccio, quality verdaccio leads to a quality color painting. It may never be too late to ameliorate, I want to do it right the first time.

Love \\ Christelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...