Sunday, August 17, 2014

Thinking Out Loud

If you haven't heard Ed Sheeran's new album, "x" (read: multiply) press play below and listen to it while you read. If you know and love him, and loved him before I did, awesome.

 


Thursday evening, I had a lot of pent up emotions, and I felt like the only way to let it out was to have a Kevin Bacon Footloose style maniac dance marathon in one of the studios on campus. Ed's music (and Sam Smith, and Ben Howard) has been playing non-stop in my studio, and "Afire Love" has been particularly moving to me. And at one point my maniacal display of emotion, I was struck by a thought. I rushed to the chalkboard mounted nearby, and began unravelling the following idea:

Art, which is otherwise completely arbitrary, is humanity's way of immortalizing itself. Art's power lies in its capacity to evoke in another what the artist felt and chose to capture, immortalizing the fleeting passion and emotion the artist so desperately felt and loved. That's magic.

Passion and powerful emotions are fleeting. Music, writing, paintings can only capture one moment. The power in that one captured moment lies in its capacity to evoke in another human being that very emotion. And it can do so again and again.

Love \\ Christelle


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...