Monday, May 12, 2014

Studio Life

It's windy and cold outside which calls for blogging with hot chocolate in hand. Summer plans have officially become my summer schedule, and that means starting two new paintings even though I haven't finished my first one. My "Cupid and Psyche" are still at Darin's studio. We need to mix me up a new flesh palette since my old one dried out :( and we need to finish glazing the piece. I'll tell you more about glazing as soon as I learn more about it.

My two new paintings are again reproductions. One is Bouguereau and is called "Little Girl" originally painted in 1878. I've been working and noodling through the pencil sketch. Kelly said something profound as I was getting frustrated that she wasn't turning out. He said that you get can away with a little more when you're painting men. Women on the other hand are so often criticized and picked apart that unless they're an image of perfection (assuming that that is the intent) on canvas, they too will be criticized and picked apart. Which is too bad.




My second painting is "The Dream of St. Joseph" by Anton Raphael Mengs. It was painted around 1773, and depicts an angel appearing to Joseph telling him to flee to Egypt because King Herod was killing all the children. I'll be painting it in its original size (about 34x45 inches), so it'll be my most ambitious painting yet.



I feel incredibly blessed to be surrounded by such talented people. Though I love having my own studio, there's something about being surrounded by genuinely good, uplifting artists, united in purpose under one roof. Here are a few scenes from this last Saturday:



Here Darin's shooting Allison for a new painting. She's doing a series of self portraits where she portrays life and death.


Kathy (in red) is a painter in her own right, but Kelly introduced her to Darin, and she's now working on her first painting using this technique. Rosemary (in blue) is doing a Mary and Child painting for her chapel. She's deeply rooted in the Catholic faith, and last year, after appealing to Mary to cure her husband, promised to do a portrait of her for her church. Her husband miraculously recovered, and she's been working on this piece ever since.


And this is me. Taking it all in.

Love // Christelle






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...