Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Prep Work

Finals are over, and it's finally warm out here in Provo. I made it out to Darin's studio for the first time in about a month. No stress about homework, no stress about tests, I was able to just spend the day up in South Jordan. 

The studio has a sweet woody paint-y smell, and combined with seeing everyone: Kelly, Darin, Kathy, Allison and Nick, I was on cloud nine. It was a fun day. Kelly had invited his friend Johnny B., and his son to come and model. We had some fun posing his son, we learned how to apply the golden mean (one part to 1.618) to light and shadows cast on a person, we learned why a three quarter turned figure looks better captured on camera--the golden mean shows through. The human figure is naturally constructed to be one part to 1.618, but we can accentuate that through various poses. Johnny B. came dressed as a cowboy. His dark skin and thick black scraggly beard combined with his costume gave him that dark mystique western look.

These last two weeks have just been about prepping for the summer, so I've been buying supplies and furniture to set up MY OWN STUDIO. My sweet roommates have given me the okay to use the basement, so I've been to Ikea and Utrecht (an art store) doing a lot of shopping.

Notice Megan's (my roommate and the ultimate BYU fan) BYU poster, left up for inspiration
Ikea is your one stop shop for your ideal room. I found a drafting table, a cheap carpet to protect the floor, an office chair, and I owe David brownies or something for all his furniture building expertise! My studio is all set up.

I bought a TON of supplies at Utrecht in SLC. Paintbrushes, paint, liquin, turpernoid, brush cleaning jars, etc, cost me a pretty penny, but everything was on sale, including the 90 dollar Cadmium Red Light Pure. Brushes are always the most fun to buy. The black brushes are mixed synthetic, and are the Toyota Corollas of brushes. The golden brushes are a little more expensive--they're weighted near the bristles and are made of mongoose hair. I would consider those the Lexuses and Acuras of paintbrushes. Darin told me about painters that paint with $100+ brushes and those are the Ferraris of paintbrushes. I didn't get any of those.


So much paint... Back in the day, they would make paint out of flower petals, cockroaches, dirt, and any paints without the word "hue" next to it is still made the same way. 

On Monday I prepped my canvas board with gesso.



Six coats later...
I've got two new paintings in the works. Stay tuned.



Love // Christelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...