Sunday, September 7, 2014

It's a Really Big Painting...

I've begun my final and most ambitious reproduction. I'm still working on my "Little Girl" but I've been so anxious to get started on this new piece, that I've gone ahead and started it. 

The original piece was painted by Anton Mengs, here's a portrait:



He was a career artist, never went crazy, though he did suffer from ill health at the end of his life. He's most notable as one of the pioneers of Neoclassicism. 

Now the painting is called "The Dream of St. Joseph." In the New Testament, throughout Christ's nativity story, angels visit Joseph with various messages. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Matthew 1:20-21
20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son ofDavid, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his nameJESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Matthew 2:13
13 And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.


Matthew 2: 19-20 
19 But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt,
 20 Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child’s life.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our story revolves around that second scripture, Matthew 2:13 when an angel warns Joseph to escape into Egypt. See it in detail here




Progress

This process requires me to start with a sketch. I still use a grid since this project is too big and I am too inexperienced not to. I am, however, proud of how far I've come from my first painting. When I first started in January, I was completely unsure what to see, or how to proceed. Now I have a vision, and am more aware of the light interplaying with the figures in these paintings.  I'm aware of the humanity and the flesh of the beings of these figures. I've gotten more patient when drawing hair, and try really really hard to get it all right the first time because going back to fix this painting will simply be a pain. 

For context this painting is 3.74 by 2.83 feet. Cheya. It's huge. It's awesome.






Love // Christelle





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...