Saturday, February 22, 2014

Verdaccio

Hey world,
I'd like to introduce you to "Cupid and Psyche, as Children." I'm nearly done with the Verdaccio. I've logged about 40 hours on this painting so far, including the sketch beneath the paint.



I need to noodle a little to soften the edges and add highlights to Psyche's hair...

Why is my painting gray-green? This process is called verdaccio and is a mix of gray and green, and sometimes other pigments, that makes up the underpainting of a piece. I take the time to capture the values, meaning the lightness and darkness of a painting, in monochromatic form, so that when I add color the painting comes to life. Value is everything in a painting, especially in realism. DaVinci used it for the Mona Lisa, Michelangelo used it in the Sistine Chapel. THIS IS THE REAL DEAL PEOPLE. It may be slower, but it's systematic, it's analytical, it's beautiful, and (I think) it's better.

"Cupid and Psyche as Children" was originally done by William Bouguereau, a good name to keep in mind if you're ever name dropping. William Bouguereau is famous for the flesh work on his paintings as well as being the most prolific French painter of the 19th century. He loved Cupid and Psyche's story which you can read here, and depicted these lovers numerous times throughout his career. Incidentally, CS Lewis also loved this story, and near the end of his life wrote Till We Have Faces which tells the story of the Cupid and Psyche from the point of view of one of Psyche's sisters. It's a great book, I'm reading it now.

I chose this painting because Darin urged me to do a reproduction of a work of a master, and because I fell in love with this painting. I cropped it, actually, because I figured my roommates wouldn't appreciate me bringing home a painting of naked angels. Even if it is fine art. You can google the original. Kelly, another painter at the studio, and I have been absolutely giddy over our paintings. At times, we roll away from our work (our chairs have wheels) and take in the view from the highway. We realize that our paintings look pretty darn good.



I look forward to these hours all week.

Love // Christelle

2 comments:

  1. I am in awe of your many talents, Christelle! The painting is coming along beautifully, I'd say, and I'm excited about this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...