Sunday, March 8, 2015

A Passage & A Painting

"Great paintings -- people flock to see them, they draw crowds, they're reproduced endlessly on coffee mugs and mouse pads and anything-you-like. And, I count myself in the following, you can have a lifetime to perfectly sincere museum-going where you traipse around enjoying everything and then go out and have some lunch.

But--" crossing back to the table to sit again '--if a painting really works down in your heart and changes the way you see, and think, and feel, you don't think, 'oh, I love this picture because it's universal.' 'I love this painting because it speaks to all mankind.' That's not the reason anyone loves a piece of art.

It's a secret whisper from an alleyway.  Psst, you. Hey kid. Yes you... a really great painting is fluid enough to work its way into the mind and heart through all kinds of different angles, in ways that are unique and very particular. Yours, yours. I was painted for you.

The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt

I know the painting I'm working on isn't necessarily one that you'd connect with. Anton Mengs, the original artist was a court painter and for whatever reason, the King wanted a depiction of the Angel Gabriel and Joseph.

I chose to reproduce this painting because it's large and challenging and skillfully done. Mengs uses techniques that I can only hope to master. My job right now is not to create original work for the sake of original work, but to absorb traditional and technical knowledge so I can render whatever message, whatever emotion in a way that will reach and hopefully touch my audience.

I do love working on this piece, though. I've had help from my teacher, Darin, who critiques my painting and shows me how to make it better. He helps me see what I don't see.



It's nearly ready for color, but I still have a few adjustments to make. 
  • Highlights in the hair.
  • Soften the edges of the drapery of both figures by bringing out the highlights and using three or four values to push back shapes that are in recession. 
  • I need to fix Gabriel's neck, it's flat. His neck just needs a few more values. 
It'll take some time, my plan is to finish it this week! As of last night, the verdaccio has taken 97.75 hours.

Love // Christelle


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...