Sunday, December 28, 2014

You Have to Know the Rules to Break Them

In a drawing class sophomore year, our teacher had us pick a bust to portray with charcoal. I picked what I thought was the most interesting face, but it also turned out to be the hardest face to draw, especially with a foreign medium.





The end result I thought looked cubist and I told her, hey, I should just quit now and be the next Picasso. She said to me,

 "You have to know the rules to break them."





Fast forward three years and Wired publishes its third annual Design Issue. In his piece, "Why Getting it Wrong is the Future of Design," the editor in chief, Scott Dadish, recounts the moment he realized the power of selective imperfection when creating beauty. Not necessarily throwing the rulebook out the window, revolting against all conventions, but simply breaking a rule or two for maximum impact. He said, 

"Once i realized what I'd stumbled on, I started to see it everywhere, a strategy used by trained artists who make the decision to do something deliberately wrong... like Miles Davis intentionally seeking out the 'wrong notes' and then trying to work his way back, none of these artists simply ignored the rules or refused to take the time to learn them in the first place. No, you need to know the rules, really master their nuance and application, before you can break them."

Picasso knew the rules. Many founders of various movements knew the rules before they changed them. Which means that taking the time to learn what the masters knew is totally worth it, at least to me. 

Yeah. I'm pretty stoked that the CEO of Wired agrees with me.

Love \\ Christelle





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...